So you have heard about tankless water heaters and you are thinking about getting one because it will save you money, right? Before you make your decision there are still some things you need to know. Well, you have definitely come to the right place, as we have everything you need to know about purchasing the right tankless water heater for your home.
Electric water heaters are one of the most common appliances purchased by households today. Water heaters are necessary to provide basic needs, but bad equipment can lead to failures, flooding, and a host of other problematic events. By using informational electric water heater reviews to locate the best makes and models that are available, the negative outcomes don’t have to be an expected outcome anymore.
Tankless water heaters cost more for initial installation but they do cut your utility bill drastically and also last longer than your traditional water heater and so will save you money in more than one way. You will save money every month and will save money over the years when you don’t need to replace it as you would with a traditional water heater.
The Best Electric Water Heaters
ADVANTAGES OF AN ELECTRIC WATER HEATER
The most obvious reason to choose one of the best electric water heaters on the market today is that it eliminates the need for gas as fuel. Although electrical models go out when the power goes out, some gas models have the same problem. Instead of installing a new gas line, installing a new 240v outlet is more cost-effective.
Electric water heaters also have more installation options in the average home. Vent-free models can even be installed in a bedroom if desired since they are so quiet and emit zero emissions. Even when venting is required, the building code requires for electrical models is generally less restrictive than gas models.
The best electric water heater is also going to have less of an environmental impact. They can be run on solar energy, wind energy, and other renewable resources. Natural gas units all require fossil fuels and deposit carbon into the atmosphere. This means a household could potentially have a whole house system in place and still be off the grid.
Electric water heaters stand out because of their efficiency, both in terms of cost and design. They are cost-effective in the sense that they use on-demand technology which allows the machine to only work while a hot water valve is turned on. Once you turn off the valve the water heater shuts off by itself. This puts the machine at rest for approximately 90% of the time. Estimated savings show that one could cut their utility bill in half every month by switching to tankless water. There is also a federal credit of $300 which consumers can receive for switching.
Tankless water heaters are small with most being around the size of a medicine cabinet. As such they do not take up too much space and can fit in a closet, under your sink, in a crawl space, in an attic, or any other small area in your home where you have the space. Even in a home where there is limited space or in a small apartment one can easily find space for one of these small tankless water heaters.
Tankless water heaters provide hot water on demand and almost instantaneously as well as provide an unending supply of water. Therefore, there is no need for anyone to run to the shower to ensure the hot water doesn’t finish on them. Over the years the design of these machines has been upgraded to ensure they have fewer problems than their predecessors. There is no issue with short bursts of cold water. Since there is no tank, there is no risk of rupture so your water heater will continue to be reliable for in excess of 20 years.
All tankless water heaters are more environmentally friendly than their predecessors. With everyone trying to cut down on emissions, the manufacturers of tankless water heaters have mastered this craft. Thanks to the on-demand technology, tankless water heaters use minimal energy, which is a key step in helping the environment. Greenhouse gas emissions are minimal in gas models and electric models give off no emissions whatsoever. There are even manufacturers that produce only models that are environmentally friendly.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN AN ELECTRIC WATER HEATER
- Gas, Electric, or Propane. When deciding which type of heater you need, you have to think about your area’s climate. You need a heater that will be powerful enough to heat the water if you live in a cold climate, and for such a climate a natural gas or a propane heater will work well. Electric models lose a lot of GPM when there is the need to rise the water temperature too high. If you are not into a propane or gas unit you will have to look at the British Thermal Unit (BTU) of the model you are interested in. A higher BTU means the machine has the ability to heat the water to higher degrees. If you choose propane, you will need a space that has proper ventilation and which is readily available.
- Size. The size you decide to go with is also dependent on how much you have to heat your water. You can find out what the average water temperature in your area is. You can also check your water temperature yourself. You will need to ensure you have a size that will heat your water enough to ensure that you don’t lose GPM – gallons per minute. The average person will use about 11,000 gallons of water per year in all uses. That equates to about 1.5 GPM in personal needs. A family of 4 will be able to use a 6.0 GPM water heater pretty easily. A family of 6, however, would likely need a 9.0 GPM water heater. By using the best electric water heater reviews, your home water center can be given the perfect make and model to meet its needs.
- GPM. We mentioned GPM in the two prior points, but what exactly does gallons per minute mean? This is a measurement that tells you how much water your unit can heat. You need to know this to ensure that you never lose hot water when the demand for it is great. You can find information online about the GPM of different activities and appliances that use hot water. Total this up and determine how much GPM you need your ideal tankless water to yield.
- Brand. If all the technical stuff wasn’t hard enough, there is now the need to filter by brand. You may have some sort of brand loyalty as many consumers these days do. There are a number of brands out there to choose from. You will find names that manufacture many of the other appliances in your home as well as you may find brands that only manufacture heaters and even those that only offer tankless water heaters. Once you choose the right fuel, the right size, and the right GPM for your needs, the brand all comes down to what you prefer.
Reviews Of The Top Electric Water Heaters
The Ecotemp L5 is not only a tankless water heater but also a portable unit with an outdoor shower. This makes it perfect for camping, cabins, and trailers. This portable unit runs off of 2 D cell batteries and allows you to have hot water no matter how far off the grid you go. The L5 allows you to raise the water temperature up to 35 degrees and provides a flow rate of 1.5 gallons per minute.
Features of the Eccotemp L5
This portable unit is great for your camping and outdoor adventures. Whether you do it on a functioning campsite or out in the deep forest, it can provide you with warm water so you have at least that comfort of home out in the wild.
- Battery Operated. This unit is designed for the outdoors and so they made it to operate on 2 “D” Cell batteries. This is great since it allows you to use this water heater wherever you go without too many requirements for set up. You can go without electricity and you don’t have to lug around propane with this unit. This also makes it handy for situations of emergency when the power is out for long periods.
- Compact. The Eccotemp L5 features a very compact design which helps to lessen the load when you are out in the wild. You can bring this unit with you and have some amount of comfort so your camping or outdoor experience will be more enjoyable.
- Easy Set Up & Operation. Your purchase includes all the necessary adapters and fittings making setting up this water heater quite easy. The heater will operate with just a connection to a standard garden hose nozzle and a propane tank. As soon as the water flows, the burners come on and they go off as soon as the water flow stops.
Advantages of the Eccotemp L5
- Portable. Not only is this a tankless water heater but also an outdoor shower. The portability of the unit allows it to be a great buy for those adventure lovers who don’t want the adventure of showering with cold water from the lake or campsite. This water heater fixes all of that with the ability to go everywhere you go off the beaten track.
- Accessories. The Eccotemp L5 water heater has all the things you need for starting it up. Included in the box are all the necessary accessories. You will find the heater body, a gas regulator, a vent shield, hardware, shower nozzle and hose set, garden hose adapter, hardware and the instruction manual.
- Custom Settings. The L5 heater provides you with a number of options for your shower. You can choose from multiple spray settings to find the right water pressure for your needs. The temperature of the water will increase almost right away and will constantly flow once the faucet is on at a flow rate of 1.5 gallon per minute. The water heater will shut off after 20 minutes of continuous labor which gives you peace of mind just in case someone leaves a pipe running.
- Battery Operated. The unit is battery operated which allows you to power it up without electricity. This is very advantageous for outdoor situations as well as for emergencies when there is no power.
Things to be Aware of
Some customers noted that the unit is sensitive to wind, so that’s something you should keep in mind.
The Eccotemp L5 portable tankless water heater is the ideal choice for outdoor use whenever necessary, and is our choice as one of the very best on the market today.
Rheem RTE 13
The Rheem RTE 13 electric tankless water heater is very compact in design but it does not lose any efficacy due to its size. The water heater can fit almost anywhere and so is suitable for homes, apartments, offices, boats, condos, labs and anywhere you have a need for hot water. The water heater provides energy-efficient hot water on demand whenever you turn your faucet on with its modulating technology to ensure you only use the energy you need to power as many faucets that are on at a time.
Features of the Rheem RTE 13
Don’t allow its small size to fool you as the compact Rheem RTE 13 packs a number of features that make it a contender to some of the larger models of tankless waters available on the market today.
- Temperature Control on Unit. This feature allows you to set the temperature without pulling the unit and without having to hire a professional to do so. This way you can customize the temperature output of the unit based on the average temperatures of water in your area.
- Modulating Power. This provides you with a continuous flow of on demand hot water while saving you on those electric charges. This technology ensures that the unit only runs when a faucet is open and only uses as much energy as it needs to provide hot water to that faucet. So if one faucet is open it uses less energy than if you have two running. It only ups its energy use as you use more hot water.
- No Ventilation Needed. So you can install this unit anywhere you have a small space even if it under a sink, in an inside closet or in a little corner out of everyone’s way.
Advantages of the Rheem RTE 13
- Efficiency. Thanks to energy star rating and modulating heat exchanger the energy efficiency of the Rheem RTE 13 is very high. The heat exchanger ensures that there is no standby heat loss and so this helps to conserve on energy. The unit also doesn’t require venting which eliminates the emissions of greenhouse gases which add to its efficiency while helping you to save the environment.
- Easy-to-Install. No need for a professional electrician to install this for you if you have a handy man in the household. The unit can be easily installed without removing the cover. When it comes to water connections you just need some ½-inch compression fittings and no T&P valve is required and your unit is as good as installed.
- Space-Saver. It is lightweight and small and can be installed anywhere you have just a little space. This makes it ideal for point of use applications such as single shower applications in apartments, or for restroom uses in small offices and labs.
- Easy to Use. With temperature controls on the unit there is no need to open the unit to adjust the temperature. There are also LED indicators to show when the unit is active or in standby mode.
Things to be Aware of
Some customers have noted that the unit does not seem to offer a flow rate of 4 GPM as advertised, so that’s something you may want to do a bit more research into.
The Rheem RTE 13 boasts a compact design with all the features of a larger unit. The unit will provide you with much-needed hot water while saving you money on your energy bill, and is one of the best tankless water heaters you can buy today.
The EcoSmart ECO 11 tankless water heater is an electric model suitable for use for an entire home. It works best in areas with an incoming water temperature of above 67 degrees Fahrenheit. The model has a flow rate of two gallons per minute and can service one shower head and a sink faucet simultaneously. For colder climates, the unit can be used as a point of use heater for one faucet on low flow.
Features of the EcoSmart ECO 11
TheEcoSmart ECO11 features smart technology and provides hot water up to 105 degrees Fahrenheit with energy savings. Can be used as a whole home model in warmer climates and as a point of use model in colder climates.
EcoSmart ECO 11
- Energy Efficient. This helps to ensure that you save on your energy bills by allowing the unit to operate most efficiently while heating the water to optimal temperatures. There is no standby time, the unit comes on only when a pipe is on and goes off right away once it is turned off.
- Use in Warm & Cold Climates. In warmer climates the EcoSmart ECO 11 electric tankless water will work for more than one flow in a home. For colder temperatures the unit can be used as a point of use for a sink with a low flow or for any other application that requires a low flow.
- Consistent Hot Water. The EcoSmart ECO 11 unit heats water up to 105 degrees Fahrenheit and is most suitable for areas with incoming water temperatures above 67 degrees. At these temperatures the unit will provide hot water to more pipes than at colder temperatures but still provides consistent hot water at lower temperatures.
Advantages of the EcoSmart ECO 11
- Useful in All Climates. The EcoSmart ECO 11 water heater provides hot water in whatever climate you live in. It will provide more heat in warmer climates and will serve more pipes but it still provides great heat in colder climates when used for point of use applications.
- Electric. The unit uses electricity so there is no need to connect to any propane tanks. This is ideal if you don’t have a lot of space. This will also help to minimize installation costs if your home already has all you need to do is mount the unit and connect the pipes.
- Smart Technology. With an electric unit the first thing you may think about is the impact on your electricity bill. With Smart technology this unit has the advantage of helping you to save on your electric bill. Smart technology ensures that the unit only uses electricity when it is in use – when a pipe is running.
Things to be Aware of
In colder climates you may need to keep your flow low so as to get warm water especially if you have more than one pipe running.
The EcoSmart is a suitable choice for use in your home whether you live in a warmer climate and colder ones as well. Reviews of the product are extensively positive online which lends the idea that it is indeed a good product.
Ecosmart ECO 27
The Ecosmart ECO 27 electric tankless water heater provides consumers with water heating efficiency. Cut your electric bills down by replacing your traditional water heater with a tankless water heater. With advanced technology, these water heaters provide you with a never ending stream of hot water with no worry about the hot water running out if you are running a full household. The ECO 27 provides adequate water heating without taking up too much space in your home, so all you need is an empty wall inside a closet, attic, under a sink or in a crawl space.
Features of the Ecosmart ECO 27
The ECO 27 tankless water heater provides you with a plethora of features that make it worth the buy. You get your money’s worth when it comes to the longevity and usability of the ECO 27.
- Self-Modulating Technology. This allows the unit to use less energy to heat the water, saving you money on your monthly electric bill. The ECO 27 can cut your electric bill by as much as 30% if you switch from your traditional water heater.
- Heats 3 GPM. This makes it ideal for the more Northern United States with water temperatures that come in below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. This means you can run two showers and up to four sinks at the same time while not compromising the flow rate or the heat of your water. It can even provide a continuous supply of hot water to your Jacuzzi tub or your roman style tub.
- Digital Temperature Control. Allowing you to set your temperature how you like it with the ability to adjust in increments of 1 degree for the most customized output.
- Size & Power. This is the largest and most powerful model with self-modulating technology from Ecosmart’s line of tank less water heaters so it is ideal for a large single family home.
Advantages of the Ecosmart ECO 27
- Powerful. The Eco 27 is perfect for Northern States of the United States and Canada with colder temperatures that reach as low as 37 degrees Fahrenheit. The unit can heat water quickly and efficiently thanks to the self-modulating technology. This technology allows it to provide enough hot water for a large single family while not increasing your energy bill but on the contrary decreasing it.
- Safe. The heater has internal jumpers that limit the heat output to a temperature of 105 degrees Fahrenheit, so your water heater will never heat your water beyond that if not changed. This is great if you have the elderly and young children at home.
- Easy to Clean & Maintain. Once your unit is professionally installed, you get a warranty and cleaning and maintenance can be done quickly and easily. All you need is a Philips screwdriver and you are good to perform any routine cleaning that needs to be done.
Things to be Aware of
Some customers have reported humming when the unit is in use, but the manufacturer reports that some humming is normal.
The Ecosmart ECO 27 is an ideal electric tankless water heater if you live in colder climates. It is powerful enough to heat water for your entire family and to provide an endless supply of hot water when you need it. It features state of the art technology for energy conservation and is safe and easy to clean and maintain.